It’s the end of the world as we know it!
Oh, so many things in the Jewish communal world to think about over the past week. Let’s tick them off, one at a time:
- The Modern Orthodox Rabbinical Council of America has decided there is no place for ordained women leaders in the Jewish world.
- Rabbi Rami Shapiro has decided that the RCA isn’t Jewish.
- Most of the contributors to a Commentary Magazine forum have decided that American Judaism is doomed unless it conforms to a right-leaning view of what it means to be an American Jew, even as Jews who will be alive fifty years from now (i.e., not those who contributed to the Commentary forum) suggest that maybe the alte kakers who wrote for Commentary might not have a clue what they’re talking about
- Self-flagellation over the Pew Study from more than two years ago continues apace
- A “synagogue without walls” in South Florida gains attention
All the panic makes my heart just go pitter-pat. I don’t even know where to start. (The section titles here are from REM’s “It’s the End of the World (As We Know It),” so now you can learn some of the lyrics!)